Thursday, March 3, 2011

Book Review: Mine is the Night by Liz Curtis Higgs

Mine is the Night by Liz Curtis Higgs is a historical fiction book.  It is the second book in a 2-part series.  I haven't read the first book, so it took me a little longer to get into the book and to figure out what all was happening.  I'll say that this book is a pretty thick book!  Not a bad thing, it's just the truth!  However, I think most of her books are pretty thick.

This book includes a lot of the Scottish phrases, which makes the book a little difficult to read in the beginning because I had to keep flipping to the back of the book to find out the meaning of the words.  However, it is no different than reading books from the Amish community.  Once I got used to the words, I was able to read with ease.

This book is a Scottish retelling of the story of Ruth and Boaz, so it's a wonderful love story! Marjory Kerr and Elisabeth Kerr have lost everything and have moved to the countryside after Prince Charlie reclaims the British throne.  If you know the story of Ruth and Boaz, then the plot is obviously predictable, but it's still a great story and very well-written.

_____________________________
This book was provided for review free of cost from Waterbrook Multnomah Press.  I was not required to write a positive review this book.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...