Sunday, February 27, 2011

Discovery

There is NOTHING like watching the launch of the shuttle live.  Since most of my family live close to Cape Canaveral (and we like going to the beach near there), we have gotten to see several launches and one actually on the location spot.  That was completely unforgettable.  Many of our family members have worked on the launch pad or the VAB or with some parts of NASA.  Daddy T almost interned there, but turned it down.  I'm kinda glad because then I wouldn't have known him, but it would have been pretty cool to be part of that. 

I love the launches and hearing the stories from my parents about certain launches, since they watched EVERY launch growing up.  I hear the night launches are incredible, but I haven't seen those.  We've seen the shuttle flown in on the airplane after a return to Earth.  We've pulled off the interstate (along with lots of people) on our way back to my grandparents to watch a launch. 

Every time the shuttle goes, I get chills and can't help but get excited.  I love it!  I love touring the space museum and hearing my grandpa's stories about the Cape and pretty much anything doing with the shuttle or the astronauts.  It amazes me that it can make it into space and the pictures it takes to send back are incredible.  They get to see God's hand in a completely different way from me and I think that it is amazing.

Just a few days ago, B and I watched the final launch of Discovery.  We both clapped when it finally lifted off and was on it's way up.  I explained to B what it was doing and where it was going.  He was excited that it was going to see stars.

My great-grandma (who I miss dearly) used to serve alcohol to the astronauts after and before launches.  I think her stories were the best!  Don't worry...they don't go up drunk. 

I'm so thankful and proud that many in my family have a history with NASA and have a passion to learn more about it.  I can't wait to take B to the space museum when he's a bit older. 

I'm curious, though.  Do you have any feelings when you see a launch or is it just another thing that goes unnoticed in your day?



0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...