Radical by David Platt has to be one of my favorite books that I've read in a long time. It challenged me and made me very uncomfortable at times. It definitely wasn't an easy book to read because it was very convicting and showed me parts of my life that I've twisted into what I think God says, but it turns out, that's what our culture says. For example, God doesn't say that if you're a Christian, you'll be loved by all, that people will respect you for your beliefs and let you live your own merry life. No...in fact, he says you will be hated and despised. (As David says, what a great way to get people to follow you, huh?!)
Another point: Just because you are a Christian doesn't mean that you will live the American Dream and be rich and have lots of money and never have anything bad happen to you. Wrong. First off, the American Dream isn't even biblical. Why do we think that just because we have more and more material things that God has obviously blessed us with these things. I mean, He has, but are we using them in the wrong way? Just because we got a raise at work, does that mean that I need to go out shopping for more material things that I'm going to end up giving to Goodwill eventually or would I be a better steward of that money if I invested it in God's kingdom, rather through church, missions, helping the poor, etc. This one struck me. We have gotten a lot better in this area, thankfully, but that's not to say it's not a challenge.
I love David's style of writing. This isn't a difficult book to understand at all. It IS a difficult to put into practice because it goes against our human nature and in almost all cases, the culture in which we live. Our culture tells us that the more you have, the more prestige you have and the more people will think of you. Jesus says the opposite. I dare you to read this book and be uncomfortable. I pray that you are so uncomfortable and challenged that you will strive to live radically for Jesus, even if others don't understand.
______________
I received this book free from Multnomah Publishers for me to review on my blog.
Tuesday, January 18, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











3 comments:
I was thinking that maybe you had read this book when you were posting about wanting to pray for all the countries of the world. Isn't it a great book! I am digesting all of it still, even after having officially completed it. Every Christian should read this book, I feel, learning and trying to put into practice what he shares.
I actually did! That was where I got the idea because I had honestly never heard of the Operation World book before. I had read Radical and did a Small Group study on it this summer, but I've loaned out my copy frequently. So, when I saw I could get it free, I just decided to get it since I was planning on eventually writing about the book anyway. I agree that everyone should read it!
I took moving as a total opportunity to purge out some unnecessary items and take more thought into what I spend money on here recently. Although never wasteful (it is against my nature!) I certainly have more than enough. When we see each other next, we need to talk about it, for sure.
Post a Comment