Lowry Rankin is the son of a preacher. His family moved from Tennessee to Kentucky to Ohio to get away from slavery. After Lowry watched one of his own friends, who happened to be a slave, get beaten, he despised slavery. Lowry's father preached against slavery, which wasn't popular at the time. With that said, it's no surprise that this family, who believes that you should treat others with respect, would risk their lives to free slaves. Lowry was used as a runner who would transport the slaves from his house to the next house. He stood up against slavery even though he was very shy.
This story is a short book that is a quick read. The pages are packed with history, but it's not the fact-filled history. The facts are there but they are woven beautifully through the story. I enjoyed learning about the Rankin family and am now interested in finding out more about them.
I plan to keep this book to use later with school when B is older. I think it will be a great addition when we start studying history and the Underground Railroad.
On an author note, I will say that Stephanie Reed is so kind and thoughtful and reaches out to her readers and shows genuine care to them. I definitely recommend this book for yourself, or for a history lesson for those teens in your life.
________________________
I received this book free from Kregel Publishers in exchange for my honest review.











1 comments:
You know, it takes a kind and thoughtful person to feel what you felt. Thank you for your sweetness. Authors need readers like you and I'm happy to have found one.
I'm glad you liked Across the Wide River. Your readers can sample it and the first two chapters of The Light Across the River here: http://bit.ly/rdRKvp
Thanks again! (((hugs)))
Post a Comment