Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Not Fried Squash

I love fried squash and fried okra.  However, I also know how bad they are for you when they are fried.  Thanks to one of my nutrition friends, she has given me several recipes for "fried" zucchini and okra.  They are all baked but taste just like fried. 

I decided to be creative one day and was trying to use up some squash my mom sent.  I was really craving fried squash, so I tried to figure out a way to get the crunchy taste without the bad factor.  I put olive oil on the squash and then I spread panko (Japanese bread crumbs that are my favorite thing to cook with) all over them.  Then I stuck it in the oven.  The panko didn't stick to it as much, so next time I may try it by sauteing it.  It was really good though and you couldn't tell it didn't stick to the squash because each bite had a crunchy taste.  I'll definitely play around with that some more because it was really good!

1 comments:

Jennifer

Another good way to get the fried squash taste is to grill it! My grandparents tried that one day (they were covered with butter, though I'm sure olive oil would work) and grilled them on the grill on non-stick aluminum foil. It was amazing how much it tasted like the real thing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...