Monday, November 15, 2010
Booked my first 5K
I have my first 5k on the horizon...just 3 weeks, to be exact. I am running my first 5k with my sister-in-law. I am both excited and nervous about it. I have this fear of failure which complicates things. I keep thinking that to be successful in this race, I MUST run it all. I know that, in theory, my goal is just to finish. I am trying to remind myself of this goal every time I run, but there's still that perfectionist side of me that gets frustrated when I can only go 2 miles or when I can't make it up the last huge hill in our subdivision. So, you runners, how did you or do you overcome this mindset? I am really enjoying running now. I never thought I would like it, but it is quite relaxing and it is fun to challenge my body in a new way. I'll be sure to post pictures of me and my sister-in-law (Aunt Mo as B calls her) crossing the finish line. Daddy T said that he, the kids, and Uncle J would have to find something to entertain themselves for a little while. Thankfully, Aunt Mo found a race that starts at 9:00, so there will be no getting up extremely early for us. Oh...and the race is in the big city where there is a lot more flat land than there is here, thank goodness! I get to run my next 5k with the church on New Years Eve, which is downtown in the hilly city. Have I mentioned I'm nervous?!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










2 comments:
I don't know if this helps, but I don't think that I have ever ran an entire 5K or any other race. I've probably done at least 10 or more 5K's, two triathlon's and one half-marathon. At the half-marathon, I ended up running with the Raleigh, NC running club. They were fantastic and they had their watches set to beep every 2 minutes or so. They would run for two minutes and walk to minutes. I was trying to jog the entire time and these people kept catching up to me, then fading away, catching up to me, then fading away again. I decided that since they were practically staying right with me, I might as well do what they were doing. I finished the half-marathon with a smile on my face. That was the best pace group that I could have been with. I stayed with them until mile 8 when I felt like I could do the rest on my own. You will be fantastic in your 5K. Listen to your body. You will have plenty of 5K's in your future. Do this one to finish in a reasonable time and just find that one person to beat in front of you towards the finish line! :)
When I started running, it was all about small goals for me. In my mind, I would tell myself things like I just need to run to THAT tree or that corner and then set a new small goal to keep going from there. I also told myself over and over that I had come such a long way not even being able to run a half mile in the beginning. It also really helps me to thank Jesus for the ability to run. That attitude pushes me to keep going knowing that HE is giving me strength to get up that hill. We live in a very hilly city and most races are flat, so that is also helpful. Good luck! I can't wait to read a post about your race!
Post a Comment