Friday, September 10, 2010

Book Review: Out Live Your Life by Max Lucado



God has definitely been hitting on a theme with me in the past couple of months.  Every single book I have read has had to do with not just saying I'm a Christian and living it, but living it so radically that people can't help but notice (which is, by the way, how God calls all Christians to live out their lives).  Needless to say, many modern day Christians think it is okay to do the basics.  That's all good, but Christianity is about more.  God is about more.  He doesn't want the bare minimum.  He wants it all...our all.  Max Lucado does a great job through storytelling in showing you the differences you can make in people's lives.  God doesn't just use the person with all the knowledge.  God uses everyday, modern people.  He doesn't use just the rich.  He uses the poor and the middle-class, as well.  In fact, there's no limits. 

My favorite chapter is Chapter 3, entitled "Let God Unshell You."  He talks about a clamshell and makes the analogy that we are like clamshells as believers.  When we don't want to be touched by something, we run back to our shells and hid out, just hoping that no one sees us watching them.  We should be the most touched people, but we like it better when we can be ignorant to the fact that people are hurting or sick or need help.  What's that saying?  Out of sight, out of mind?  Yeah...that's how most Americans are.  This chapter challenged the reader to get out of the shell, be touched, and touch back. 

The book club chapters at the end are helpful for a Bible Study resource.  I found it interesting because it gave many ideas of how to minister to others and many great websites that I have enjoyed looking at and praying for.  You're not simply living out your life.  You are out living your life and bringing glory to God.




Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their BookSneeze.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...