Let me start this post with the fact that I know everybody is different. I knew that thought would come up as a response to this post, so I figured I'd go ahead and say it! However, that said, I have prayed for clarity this week in how my fall schedule should look like. It's been a blessing that my music therapy business is getting so many offers and many want to take lessons and Kindermusik and Sign classes. I'm thrilled that so many people are interested in all of this. I truly am. However, I am one person who has 2 kids under 2 (until next month! Just the age changes, not the number of kids I have...just to clarify...) and I am a wife that has a house that is full of jobs to do in order to enter the next big thing in our lives that I'll share more about later.
Those who have all of these descriptions as well will relate when I say that there's not enough of me to give to all of that. I've known that I couldn't take on too many more therapy jobs since I'm determined to only work 1 day away from my kiddos and that is truly a great break for all of us. Not that I want to get rid of them, but I love what I do and the kids get to go play with their friends so we all win. I've sent some replies back and have been saddened to have to put them on waiting lists, but I know that this is what I'm at peace doing.
That said, knowing that God has called me to minister to my children and that I want to be at home with them so that I can develop a deep relationship and enjoy them as much as I can, why is it so hard to give up job opportunities? (By the way, I'm not saying that those who work outside of the home cannot have the same relationships and enjoyment with their kids. I just feel that my main focus needs to be at home.)
I think the answer is a selfish one for me. Yes, I do enjoy it and yes it brings in money. However, what do I have to sacrifice for that? My sanity is one and I find that when I'm balancing too much on my plate then my kids and husband suffer. Mostly it's B that suffers because I tend to take it out +on him. I find that I'm stressed and can never get things done. I end up in tears by the end of the day because I feel like I've failed yet again. This is what has led to me making some big decisions about my schedule and I've realized (thanks to my husband) that it's okay to say "no" even if you really DO want to do something. Sometimes, that's not the best thing for my kids or me for that particular week. That's hard because I do love playdates and letting my kids be with friends. However, I don't want to have to be gone every day of the week especially because of the new stresses we are about to be adding to our already crazy lives! So if I say "no", don't be offended! I'm just trying to simplify our schedules and make room for the homeschool schedules that will need to be added into our days, as well.
My head is still swimming with trying to figure out what else needs to be changed in our schedule, but at least I'm getting some answers about where my focus needs to be at the moment and what needs to be set aside for a different season in our lives.
I'm just curious, though. Has anyone else had to simplify their schedules to make it a little easier once you had 2 kids? What did you find was not as important? What was the most important? Do you regret what you took out at all?
Wednesday, July 13, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










1 comments:
Has anyone else had to simplify their schedules to make it a little easier once you had 2 kids? Yes!!!
What did you find was not as important?
I still want to do all the extra stuff, like coaching basketball, sewing, gardening, going for hikes with my boys...but sometimes it is just sooooo nice to come home, cook dinner and then do nothing. The house is reasonably clean, but I must give Damon credit for the tidying.
I've thought about going to graduate school, but I don't want to have it in my head that I need to be studying and spending less time with the kids.
What was the most important? The most important thing, that I still work on daily is giving my kids my full focus when I'm home. There are so many evening chores to do and I just want to get them done first so that I can then do nothing, but there is always a diaper to change, a kid that is whining (probably due to the fact that I'm not paying attention) and laundry to fold.
I do get torn on time to workout, teaching childbirth classes and spending enough time with my family when I'm gone all of the time anyway.
Do you regret what you took out at all? I don't know if it is regret. I know that in the future, some of this stuff will come back. I know I will regret not finding a way to be with my kids more, so that is what my focus is on right now....how to make enough for us to live on but still having the flexibility that I want.
Post a Comment