Tuesday, April 26, 2011
Book Review: Plain Wisdom by Cindy Woodsmall and Miriam Flaud
This was such a wonderful, light, and relaxing book to read. I loved how I felt like I was stepping inside not only the friendship of Cindy and Miriam, but also the home of Miriam. Miriam is an Old Order Amish woman and Cindy is an "Englischer" or English.
The book opens with recounting how they first became friends and how Cindy visited Miriam for the first time at her home and stayed a week. She gave insights into her view of Miriam's house and lifestyle and little pieces of "their world" that she has brought over to hers. I love she reminded her readers about how the Amish have structures in their day, such as morning chores, afternoon chores, and evening chores. You can tell what time it is by the chore they are doing. In the English world, it all lumps together as we have time and sometimes the most important things don't even get done because we are too busy.
Throughout the book, they share their experiences not only as a wife and a mother, but their joys and their sorrows and frustrations. They are open and honest and by the time I got to the end of the book, I felt like I knew both of them and wanted to know even more about them! I almost felt like they were my friends, too! I definitely recommend this book if you are looking for something encouraging and fun to read.
_________________________
This book was provided by WaterbrookMultnomah Publishers free for my review in exchange of the book. I had no guidelines or rules to follow for this review. It was simply my opinion.
Labels:
book reviews
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











0 comments:
Post a Comment