I have come across many people who have told me that it is pointless to teach my children memory verses at a young age. I disagreed. Although B might not understand all of the words to every verse, I believe that God can still speak to him since he has hidden His Word in his heart. (I'll argue that he knows what some of the verses mean!) Honestly, I don't know what ALL of the verses mean, but God continues to reveal Himself to me through them one at a time.
Scripture memory is something that I was great at as a child, but not so good at now. In fact, I remember that one week during the summer, my father would make us memorize a certain passage of Scripture. It was kinda fun. And every morning before school, we would do our devotions with Mom and there was always the verse. It became a habit for us and I'm thankful that a love for God's Word and learning more about His Word was instilled in us at such an early age.
I decided that this week was a great week to start memorizing a verse. I made it fun and introduced it while we were playing with his toys. He said it back to me a few times and of course I started out easy. I only gave him the first part of the verse and I'll add the rest over the next couple of weeks. Now when I ask him what his memory verse is, he says "Children obey your parents." It's so sweet! Now...to work on the application of this verse into his life....










1 comments:
You should check out the memory verse system on Simply Charlotte Mason. It's not a big deal, more a good storage and organizational method. It's working for us and it's no stress, no fuss, works for multiple ages.
Nothing is more important than teaching your kids God's word! Look at the difference it made in your life and John's life. You need to thank your parents for having the wisdom to make that a priority. What a difference it made--it has made you the lovely person with the heart for God that I know and love!
Post a Comment