Friday, October 26, 2007

I've decided...

So......thanks to my best friend, Heather, and of course Raun and my family, I've decided to go back to school. I'm going for my master's in music therapy. I had been putting it off because I wouldn't be able to get it unless we moved. However, they just sent out a paper a few weeks ago offering MT classes with an emphasis in whatever field of study (i.e. autism, medical, mental health, etc.). It's at Georgia College and State University in Milledgeville, GA. It is the same college that Aunt Maxine got her master's at. They have an excellent music therapy program and best of all...it's ONLINE! I get to have in-state tuition, which is great and only have to go there one weekend every semester and one week out of the summer for my intensive training days. I'm thrilled to start! I probably won't start until the summer because life here is hectic, but I'm very excited. My emphasis will be in the medical/mental health field, since God is apparently wanting me to work with these type of clients/patients.

I love my work! My boys at the psych hospital created a band today and I taught them the bass, electric, drums, and keyboard. By the end of the session, they played "Lean on Me" fairly well! And only one fight almost broke out! We're improving! But what a thrill to work with them. The staff that was with me today (I call them my body guards) was actually in school to be a music ed teacher. I told him to feel free to help anytime! He said he would be there every Friday and he'd make sure he was with whatever group I had. And...I had a boy request classical music. I almost fell out of my chair. I usually only get Rap, R & B, or Country. I was excited to finally get to play some REAL music!

I'm looking forward to the weekend. We're having friends from church over to watch the Florida/Georgia game (Raun loves Florida and Walt loves Georgia). Jamie (my nutritionist friend) and I are going to be cooking our wonderful, famously healthy dinners. Raun laughs at me because his poor tummy can't handle lots of grease or heavy meats anymore. I'm proud....that means I'm doing my job! We're doing shrimp again, so Nessa...wish me better luck than when we cooked together! I'll let you know the verdict when it's done.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...