Monday, July 9, 2012

The Actual Move

So our actual move didn't necessarily go as planned.  I had thought that we'd get most of the stuff loaded, have the pod delivered to the new house, and then have a few days to clean inside.  What really happened?  I think you can guess that it wasn't anything near like our plan!

Daddy T had several friends come help us load the pod on the Saturday before we were to close (we closed on a Wednesday afternoon around 2:30.)  The pod was supposed to be picked up on Monday, but it was actually Wednesday morning before he picked it up and delivered it to our new house, which actually turned out okay. 

Daddy T and I spent Sunday and Monday night packing up what was left and taking it to the basement to be loaded on the U-haul when he picked it up on Monday night.  Daddy T and I stayed up until 1 or 2 a.m. most nights during that week.  You never realize how many oddly shaped things you have, like your furniture that takes up so much room in a truck!  Add to that the little things that just don't fit in a box and you have a weirdly packed U-haul.

On Tuesday night, we started taking the boxes and bags that wouldn't fit in a U-haul or the pod to his mom and dad's house. We worked until almost 1 that night and thankfully, his mom kept the kids and let them fall asleep on her couch.  It made it a lot easier to load and unload when we didn't have the kids there.  They did do a great job with us during our first 4 loads.  I think we made 5 or 6 trips that night.  When we got home, I started worrying about all that had to be finished before we closed.  Needless to say, Daddy T woke up the next day at 6 a.m. (which never happens) and got to work.  I quickly followed.  Daddy T had planned to work a half day and then come home and help me finish pack and clean.  I'm so thankful he saw that that plan was flawed and that we'd be in deep trouble if I was left by myself to do it all!  All of his coworkers were so understanding through this and they felt sorry for the poor boy!

Daddy T took B to unload a car and to pick up breakfast about 9 a.m.  When he returned, I almost started hyperventilating.  I couldn't help it.  I looked around, saw all that needed to be done, saw that we had our kiddos (which were very good, but they do hinder how fast you become productive), and saw the time on the clock.  Needless to say, the clock was scaring me!  Daddy T had to calm me down and assure me that we'd get it done.  I had to believe him.  I went to our room and shoved stuff in bags.  I didn't care what it was, didn't bother to label it, and tucked it into the cars.  It didn't help that we had 3 cars and a U-haul to take to the house.

In the middle of our cleaning that morning, the realtor of the other couple showed up WITH  the buyers and did their final walk through.  The garage was a mess (still in the process of being cleaned) and nothing had been cleaned yet.  Thankfully in our state, we only have to surface clean.  The buyers are from New York and in their contracts, they have to have it deep cleaned or the offer could be terminated at the table.  So thankful that didn't apply to us or we would have been in trouble!  The couple was a little worried that we'd still be there when closing time happened, but we assured them that we'd definitely be out and it would be clean by that time.  They asked if the oven was cleaned and all of the appliances and that's when I again started freaking.  I told them yes, because I had wiped it out.  However, I called our realtor and he assured me that surface clean was enough and they weren't getting anything more and shouldn't.  Assured that our house was okay, we left to drop a car off, drop a load off, and return home to get another car and another load and do the final cleaning.

It was 2:00 before we made it back to his parents' house to unload the last car load, and then to drop off the U-haul.  Daddy T told me to go hop in the shower while he unloaded the car and then he'd jump in when I finished and we could leave.  Mind you, we have 2 kids and NONE of us have eaten lunch yet.  You can imagine how tired and hungry we were.  We did make it to the table at 2:30.  We signed 2 or 3 papers and then I took the kiddos down a couple of buildings to eat at a cafe.

After the many sleepless nights, the lack of food, and pure exhaustion, I opted for me and the kids to head back to his parents' house and go to bed.  Daddy T headed off to his golf league, but afterwards he said that he wished he hadn't gone because he was too tired and didn't play well at all!

We slept awesome that night.  It was a huge weight off to know that there was no packing to do that day, no unloading, no cleaning, and no wondering if the house deal would fall through at the last minute.  We had the excitement of the next day of buying our new house and then having some friends over to help me clean the entire house!

Two months later, we are still unpacking boxes and moving things around and figuring out what works in our new house and what doesn't.  We are so thankful that God saw fit for us to move into a house with a bigger yard and more space.  However, we never want to move a single thing again!!!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...