I feel like I need an exercise goal in my life. I have always wanted to do a half-marathon, but I am no where near in the shape to do one. My sister-in-law has become a runner lately and I envy her! I actually kinda like running, but I'm just not good at it. I am not sure how to really build up endurance or how to trick your mind to run through the tiredness and hotness that you feel while you are running. I love the feeling after a good run, though. It's almost just as good as a massage.
With that said, I have decided to start small. I want to train for a 5K. I am in the period where I can't really start running yet, though, so I'm patiently trying to wait. Any tips for someone who is just starting with running and who is wanting to do a 5K? Anyone want to run a measley 5K with me? Any training websites or articles or things that I should DEFINITELY read or adhere to?
Like I said, I know this is a minor thing, but I figure I gotta start somewhere. Why not start at the bottom?!










5 comments:
Thomas has a similar goal for this year too! Although I love to run, he does not, so he took to finding something to help him train. He found "Couch to 5k" which starts with walking and running combos that eventually build you to just running. The best things you can do is just schedule a race, pay your money, and get someone else to run it with you so that you can not back out and make excuses. It is easy to say no to something but when you have put cash, time, and a friend into the mix, you can't back out as easily. :O)
Good luck!!
I was going to suggest the "couch to 5k" thing too....which is what I keep thinking about doing but obviously have not taken one step towards actually doing. Wish we were closer. I'd be your running friend. I think it's a great goal and it's not "measly"---even though you are young and it will be much easier for you than for someone who is, say, ten years older than you.
I agree on the couch to 5K program as well. I've heard a lot of good things about it. I think it is great to set a fitness goal. I also agree with Summer. That is what I always do. If you pay for a race, you're more likely to train to finish it. 5K isn't a small feat to finish either. I will gladly do one with you. I would love to have some other running buddies, it will help me stay motivated as well. Let me know what race you want to do. There are plenty in the Chattanooga area, but I will even travel somewhere if you find one somewhere else. I believe couch to 5K is about an 8 week training program, so not too far out. Check out www.chattanoogatrackclub.org for race information.
Okay, my response sounded funny. I do often agree with Summer but what I meant was I agree with her on signing up for a race and commiting your self to it. :)
I tried the couch to 5k thing, but I just can't seem to run and run without a break. One thing I found that really helped me and made me feel more successful was to do a combo of running and walking. Right now I am running for 3 minutes, and walking for 1 minute. This is the pattern that Clint does, and he's training for a half marathon. It makes it so I can run for longer. If I just set out to run, I would have to stop after not much running. :-)
Post a Comment