Wednesday, January 20, 2010

But....he's a good boy!

I'm feeling a constant theme coming along in these posts! My child is a wonderful, delightful, curious child, but he is also becoming independent and isn't for sure how to tell me all of the things he really wants to tell me...except the things he can sign. Then there's the fact that he has not much of a toleration for the word "no."

I was teaching my Kindermusik class today...ironically, the Sign and Sing class. All was going well. B was playing with the hula hoop and trying to move his hips since he wasn't for sure what it was supposed to actually do. Then he'd move to the babies and proceed to show them where their nose and eyes were. Then he'd give the girls kisses. Wait....off to play with the boys! That means balls and throwing. As you can see, he was quite busy.

Like I said, all was well. Until.......how did you know something bad was about to happen?! Yeah...goldfish time. B LOVES goldfish. He could eat as many of those things as you would let him. Except for today. Except for at snack where he was supposed to sign "more" and "all done." Instead of signing, he became quite mad that he could only have one at a time. This led to him running over to a 16-month-old boy and hitting him. Lightly, but still hitting. Then he hit (still lightly tapping, but I still consider it a hit) the boy's mom. If I wouldn't have been the one teaching, we would have left right then and there. However, time out was the only option I had so I used it. I kept apologizing for his temper tantrums. Oh...I left out the part where he hit the chair and tried to turn it over. After being incredibly embarrassed (I've mentioned that we really do discipline and are working on this issue), he ended up in time out. He screamed for a bit and then quieted down enough to finish out the rest of the session with us. This is becoming quite a daily struggle! My little boy just doesn't know how to deal with his frustration.

Any advice from you experienced mommies would be great! That's it for now. I'm off to read some more books to get some more ideas and to once again, pray for patience!

See....I really AM a good boy......

2 comments:

Kaolinmommy

Aw. He IS a good boy. He is just, as you've said, incredibly curious and busy. And NO toddler really knows how to deal with their frustrations. Some are just more stubborn than others (and I say this because my kids are as stubborn as they come.) My mom always says that the frustration is partially because they they are too smart for their little bodies and they can't make their hands do or their mouths explain what they want. Makes a lot of sense for curious little B!

Anonymous

I say consistency, consistency, consistency is the key. I know that's a frustrating answer because sometimes I feel like I'm doing the same thing over and over without getting the desired result when I discipline Taylor, but pretty much all the moms I talk to with children older than mine assure me that it will pay off and the child will eventually realize that every time they do certain actions then every time they will receive unpleasant consequences.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...