
************************************************************************************
The top of the hill...this college girl abandoned it after her road being blocked from both directions and seeing the pile of cars in the yards.

Our neighbors, complete with New Yorkers:)

Yup...the truck....with a car that would have hit it if it wouldn't have hit the water box and broken it first and then running into the drainage ditch. Daddy T was REALLY nervous until he ran out there and saw that it missed it.

Hard to see, but the pizza man's car is on the left and there are almost 9 cars in the other driveways.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Corny, I know, but that's all I got! We got some snow today. Problem is, that snow stuck really well on the roads. But then the sun started to shine a little. Problem again, the temperature got well below freezing again. The other problem? All of the snow turned to ice. Lots of ice! We live in an area surrounded my mountains and the valley. Not many people in our area are blessed with flat yards. Almost everyone has curves, hills, etc. That's the other problem. We live going down a hill. We've never had the problem of ice while living here and people here swear that it never gets icy. (I think they forgot about the ice storms a while ago!) Except for now. We've had cars coming down the hill and sliding, barely missing each other. Daddy T couldn't even get home tonight. Even at 4 p.m., cars were sliding into yards. Daddy T left his beloved truck two doors down from us. He slipped several times crossing the road. To top it off? A car wouldn't listen to us and tried to come down the hill. It came within a few feet of hitting Daddy T's truck. It took out the water pipe in our neighbor's yard and then did a loop, managed to miss a few cars and mailboxes and then hit the concrete. I can tell I am my father's child because in times like these he would have suited up, gotten on his tractor (or his truck) and helped get people out of the ditches (which he's done lots of times in the snow and ice). So, as I'm typing this, I am in my coat waiting for the next car to have to run outside to the top of the hill and beg them to listen to us and not chance it. The sad part? Most of those people live in the valley. A lot had gone grocery shopping. One family had two kids at home and the man and his 6-month pregnant wife had to walk back. Oh yeah, and they had just gone grocery shopping. Our neighbors offered their empty refrigerator, but thankfully they had a friend a few houses down that would let them park their car in the driveway. I think at this moment, we have parked over 10 cars. Including a pizza man! Many of them think they will be back early for work. Not a chance. Especially since it's going to be 16 (feels like 3 degrees) outside at 6 in the morning. The upside? What a great way to meet and talk to all of our neighbors! They are very friendly and helpful and we've all been out in our yards and in each other's yards trying to push cars around and help them get in a yard safely. Have I mentioned how much I love the South and how most people really do want to help others out.










1 comments:
That hill looks SO scary!!
Post a Comment