The Advent Wreath
This year, I finally found the Advent wreath that I wanted to use at home. I had been searching for the past couple of years and finally found an Irish store (which is fitting since I'm part Irish) and decided that we'd get it. I love it because it has the candles that are bigger than tealights but smaller than the candlestick. They are the small and chunky ones and they sit in a vase. I figured with kids around, that would be the best thing to get.
We light it every night before dinner and then B gets to blow it out after we eat. Of course, after we light it, B insists that we sing happy birthday to baby Jesus. One night he got upset because baby Jesus wasn't blowing out His candles but I told him that I was sure baby Jesus was okay with B blowing out the candles for him.
We have just celebrated the first week of Advent, so we lit the first candle. That was the Prophecy Candle or Candle of Hope. It signified that we have faith that God is/has/will continue to keep all of His promises that He has made to us that are found within the pages of Scripture. The second candle that we will light starting today is the Bethlehem Candle or Candle of Preparation. We are preparing to receive God and for His second coming. It also reminds us of peace. Next to be lit in the coming weeks will be three more candles. We will light the Shepherd Candle or Candle of Joy, in remembrance of the joyfulness of Christ's birth and the angels that sang. We will also light the The Angel Candle or Candle of Love, which reminds us to love others and most importantly, that God loves us so much to send His only Son to us. Last to be lit on Christmas Day is the Christ Candle. This reminds us of Jesus Himself and why He came in the first place.
With B being so little, this has opened up some great conversations for us to talk about Jesus. Granted, he can't go deep, but he can understand the basics. If you don't already have an Advent wreath, consider getting one. It's probably my favorite part of the day when we light it and talk about what the candle means each day.










0 comments:
Post a Comment